Saturday, June 25, 2011

Solid State

So it's been a while since I updated the blog (duh), but life is slowly returning to normal.

My peanut butter experiment didn't go so well, though. I was a little nauseated afterward, and I didn't sleep well. So I haven't really had a taste for it since then. I know why (it's called conditioned taste aversion), but I hope it doesn't last, 'cause I really love peanut butter.

But at least I'm eating solid food now, even though I'm supposed to purée everything. Well, my food has to be the consistency of cottage cheese. So if it's already like that (refried beans, eggs, etc.), then I'm cool. Otherwise, I'm supposed to Cuisinart the food to death. As long as it looks sorta like it tastes...

Oh, and I'm only supposed to eat protein. No (whole) fruits or veggies yet. Cheese is good, though, and most condiments.

So I have a small cheese omelet for breakfast most mornings, and it fills me up for several hours. I've tried a bunch of other things too, like refried beans with cheese and salsa or a food-processor-ized Morningstar Farms burger (with cheese, dill pickle relish, mustard, and ketchup, of course). I also eat a lot of fish, which is good for me anyway.

A single soy burger or 3-oz. piece of grilled fish is a major meal for me, too, which is nice. I'm not supposed to eat more than 3 tbsp at a time anyway, although I sometimes do. I figure I'll try things and my body will let me know what works and what doesn't (like the peanut butter).

Last but not least, I had a very small piece of chocolate-chip cookie cake today (thanks Jennifer!). Very tasty, but nothing orgasmic, which is probably a good thing. I'm not supposed to eat sugar yet, but my food's been pretty boring for 6 weeks. So I treated myself. As long as I make it a treat instead of a regular thing, I'm not all that worried about it.

I'm continuing to lose weight at a prodigious rate, but not as quickly as when I was on the liquid diet. I'm getting a few more calories/day, and my body is getting used to the changes.

Still, I'm down to 355 lbs., which means I'm losing about a half-pound a day. The nurse said I'd probably hit a plateau at this point, and she was right.

Anyway, that's the latest update. I haven't forgotten that I need to pick up the thread of the backstory, but I'll get to it soon enough.

1 comment:

  1. Things are progressing which it nice but don't push eating more than 3 tablespoons. Everything is still healing and if you force more than you should, your extra small stomach can't handle it. The nutritionist on Freaky Eaters said a gastric bypass patients new stomach is the size of the top neck of a plastic water bottle, ie very small. Keep up the good work, glad everything is going well with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete